Why We Procrastinate – Why We Leave Things for Tomorrow
Why We Procrastinate – Why We Leave Things for Tomorrow
“I’ll start tomorrow.”
It sounds harmless.
Tomorrow I’ll study English.
Tomorrow I’ll learn Excel.
Tomorrow I’ll exercise.
Tomorrow I’ll prepare seriously for my exam.
Tomorrow I’ll use my phone less.
And then tomorrow comes.
But instead of starting, we say:
“Today I’m a little busy. I’ll start tomorrow.”
And the cycle begins again.
This is procrastination — delaying something important even when we know we should be doing it.
But there is a deeper question:
Why do we postpone things that are actually important to us?
Procrastination Is Not Always Laziness
We often call procrastination laziness.
But sometimes we are not avoiding the work itself. We are avoiding the feeling associated with the work.
Imagine someone wants to improve their English but feels that their English is weak.
Opening an English book may bring thoughts like:
“What if I don't understand this?”
“My English is too weak.”
“There is so much to learn.”
The brain looks for an escape.
The phone is right there.
A few minutes of scrolling feels easier than facing something uncomfortable.
The person gets temporary relief.
But the problem is still there.
That is one of the most important things about procrastination:
It gives us relief now and creates a bigger problem later.
We Often Run Away From Discomfort
Suppose you want to learn Excel.
Excel itself may not be extremely difficult, but starting something unfamiliar requires mental effort.
Now compare two choices:
Learning Excel → effort + uncertainty
Watching short videos → instant entertainment
The brain naturally prefers the easier reward.
This can create a cycle:
Difficult task → discomfort → avoidance → temporary relief → guilt → more stress → more avoidance
Eventually, even a simple task can start feeling overwhelming.
Why Does “Tomorrow” Feel So Attractive?
“Tomorrow” is an interesting word.
Today, we think:
“I don't have enough energy.”
But when we imagine tomorrow, we imagine a completely different version of ourselves.
Tomorrow we will be:
- more motivated,
- more focused,
- more disciplined,
- less distracted,
- and ready to work for hours.
But tomorrow's version of us still has the same 24 hours.
The same responsibilities.
The same phone.
And sometimes the same habits.
So “tomorrow” is not a plan unless it includes a specific action.
Instead of:
“I will study English tomorrow.”
Try:
“Tomorrow at 8 a.m., I will practice 10 English sentences for 20 minutes.”
That is a real plan.
Perfectionism Can Also Cause Procrastination
Procrastination isn't always about laziness.
Sometimes we delay because we want everything to be perfect.
We tell ourselves:
“I'll start when I have enough time.”
“I'll start when I can concentrate properly.”
“First I'll prepare everything, then I'll begin.”
But the perfect moment rarely arrives.
If you want to improve your English, your first day doesn't need to involve speaking perfect English.
You can simply learn five sentences.
If you want to learn Excel, you don't need to master Excel in one month.
You can understand one formula today.
Progress does not need permission from perfection.
Waiting for Motivation Is Another Trap
How many times have we said:
“I don't feel motivated today.”
The problem is that motivation doesn't always come before action.
Sometimes the sequence is actually:
Action → small progress → satisfaction → motivation
You may not feel like studying.
But you decide to study for just ten minutes.
After ten minutes, you realize:
“This isn't as difficult as I thought.”
Then you continue for another ten minutes.
That is why waiting for motivation can keep us stuck.
Sometimes we need to start before we feel ready.
Try the Five-Minute Rule
When a task feels overwhelming, don't tell yourself:
“I have to study for three hours.”
Tell yourself:
“I'll do it for just five minutes.”
Five minutes of English.
Five minutes of reading.
Five minutes of Excel.
Five minutes of exercise.
Five minutes of revision.
The goal is not necessarily to finish everything.
The goal is to break the resistance to starting.
Once you begin, continuing often becomes much easier.
Your Phone Can Become Procrastination's Best Friend
Modern procrastination has become incredibly easy.
The task feels difficult?
Open the phone.
Feeling bored?
Open the phone.
Feeling stressed?
Open the phone.
Study feels uncomfortable?
Open the phone.
And then comes the most dangerous sentence:
“I'll just use it for five minutes.”
Five minutes can easily become thirty.
The solution isn't necessarily to hate your phone or throw it away.
A simpler strategy is to create some distance between yourself and the distraction.
For example, keep your phone away during the first 20–30 minutes of important work.
Sometimes changing the environment is easier than fighting your brain with willpower.
Being Busy Doesn't Always Mean Being Productive
There are days when we are busy from morning until night.
Work.
Messages.
Calls.
Household responsibilities.
Social media.
Small tasks.
And at night we wonder:
“What did I actually accomplish today?”
Being busy and being productive are not the same thing.
Productivity means giving some time to the things that actually move your life forward.
If you want a better career, learn a useful skill.
If you have an exam, study.
If you want better English, practice.
If you want better health, exercise.
These things may not feel exciting every day.
But your future is built from these ordinary actions.
Change the Way You See Yourself
There is another problem with procrastination.
We sometimes start telling ourselves:
“I'm just a lazy person.”
That identity can become a trap.
If you believe you are lazy, every unfinished task becomes evidence supporting that belief.
Instead, try a different identity:
“I am someone who starts with a small step.”
Did you study for only 15 minutes?
That's still progress.
Did you learn one Excel concept?
Progress.
Did you practice ten English sentences?
Progress.
You don't need a perfect routine.
You need the ability to return to the routine after you fall out of it.
Discipline Doesn't Mean Being Perfect
Real discipline does not mean having a perfect day every day.
You will have bad days.
You will sometimes waste time.
You will sometimes lose motivation.
You may miss a study session.
That's normal.
The important question is:
What do you do next?
One missed day isn't the real problem.
The problem is saying:
“I missed today, so I'll start Monday.”
Then Monday becomes next week.
Next week becomes next month.
And suddenly months have disappeared.
Discipline is not never falling off track.
Discipline is coming back.
Tomorrow Is Not the Enemy
Planning for tomorrow is useful.
The problem begins when “tomorrow” becomes an excuse for avoiding today.
So the next time your mind says:
“I'll start tomorrow.”
Don't fight with yourself.
Just ask:
“What can I do for five minutes today?”
Five minutes of English.
Five minutes of reading.
Five minutes of exercise.
Five minutes of learning.
Five minutes of focused work.
Maybe you will stop after five minutes.
That's okay.
Because you have already achieved something important:
You started.
Final Thought
We often imagine that changing our life requires one huge decision.
But real change is usually much quieter.
One page today.
Ten English sentences today.
One Excel concept today.
Twenty minutes of focused work today.
These actions may look insignificant in the moment.
But repeated for months, they can completely change where you are.
So the next time your brain says:
“Tomorrow.”
Answer with:
“Maybe. But I'll do five minutes today.”
Because sometimes the difference between “I will do it someday” and “I actually changed my life” is simply the decision to start today.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thankyou for your comments